Friday, October 10, 2008

Sweet Victory

As part of LifeWay's efforts to encourage their employees "Toward a Healty Lifestyle," a freezer filled with various Blue Bell Ice Cream Snacks has appeared just a few steps from the salad bar in the LifeWay cafe. The treats are moderately priced, ranging from only 99¢ for various yummy ice cream bars and sandwiches to $1.99 for a whole pint of delicious creaminess. I'm not talking about plain vanilla or chocolate either—the first two flavors I spotted were Caramel Turtle Fudge and Pistachio Almond.

I had intentionally avoided the little white treasure chest when I passed through the cafe earlier, on my way to heat up the canned soup I'd brought for lunch. Sitting down to eat outside in the lovely October sunshine, I focused on how luxurious it can be to eat grapes from a plastic food container and bask in the cool breeze sweeping across the parking lot. I believe almost any kind of lunch could feel luxurious on Friday.

As I unhurriedly began the walk back to my office, I paused for a minute or two by the freezer just to see what sort of selection it offered. Soon I found myself trying to choose between the Chocolate Chip Country Cookie (one of my favorites) and the Double Banana Bar (which was slightly cheaper). I do have some change in my pocket, I thought, and it IS Friday, after all. Why not pamper myself a bit?

Suddenly the image I saw in the mirror this morning popped in my head, and I decided I'd take a little glance at the Nutrition Facts on the back. Hmmm...would the low-calorie soup, wheat crackers, and grapes balance out the 12 grams of fat in my favorite cookie sandwich? Probably not.

I turned around and walked straight to my office, comforting myself with the victorious feeling of having resisted the temptation. Besides, I thought, I don't need ice cream to make me happy on a Friday. The simple promise of a weekend ahead is sweet enough for today.

Monday, on the other hand, may be a different story...

1 comment:

Alyssa K. Krebs said...

You rejected Ice Cream! Way to go sister! I miss you something terrible dearest sister of mine. How are the books? Have you had anytime to read any of them? When you finish one of them tell me what you think. I will see you Wednesday!
Love you,
Lyssa

P.S. Madison is here until Saturday!