Monday, January 18, 2010

Time to Flip!

I am a logophile, and I am quite unashamed to admit it. Words fascinate me. Riddles, anagrams, puns—these are a few of my favorite things. In light of this, it should not be surprising that, while experimenting with posting the video below from my new Flip camera, I looked up the word flip in a dictionary. Here are a few of the definitions I discovered (excerpted from Dictionary.com):

—verb (used with object)
1. to toss or put in motion with a sudden impulse
2. to move (something) suddenly or jerkily
3. Slang: to make (someone) insane, irrational, angry, or highly excited (usually followed by out)

—verb (used without object)
4. to move with a jerk or jerks
5. to turn over
6. Slang: to react to something in an excited, astonished, or delighted manner

Flip apparently derives from the Middle English word for snapping the fingers. Interesting, huh?

There is actually a point to all this. I think it's time to...well..."flip" over a new leaf, metaphorically speaking. This blog needs some attention—with all the other things (and people) vying for mine, I'm not sure how I'll manage to give it much, but I intend to try. I find it sad and ironic that a word-lover like myself should struggle to scrape together enough words to post on here more often than once a quarter!

Fortunately, I also like photography...and I happen to have a nice new digital SLR camera and a very photogenic little subject at home whose face I hope you have not tired of seeing just yet. Plus, with my new Flip camera, I can capture cute videos like the one below and easily upload them for your entertainment...in moderation, that is, so as to avoid flipping anyone out, so to speak. :) So, if you can put up with photos and videos a bit longer, I hope to get the words flowing soon.

In the meantime, Abigail has some "words" of her own to say (while she "flips" over her new Christmas presents)...

No comments: